Coconut Dog Biscuit Recipe
This dog biscuit recipe is simple but yummy and healthy. It uses shredded coconut and coconut oil, applesauce, sunflower seeds and blackstrap molasses. Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits and is safe for dogs. Certified gluten-free oat flour can be used if you want the biscuits to be gluten-free.
This dog biscuit recipe is high in dietary fiber and trace minerals (e.g. potassium, iron, and calcium).
Health Benefits of Coconut
Coconut oil has gained wide popularity in recent years due to its numerous health benefits. Though it is rich in saturated fats, most of such fats in coconut oil are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), which are supposed to assimilate well.
For dogs, coconut oil can improve their coat and skin conditions, help with digestion, and due to its antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, help with health issues such as arthritis, infections, and even prevent cancer.
Recipe: Gluten-Free Coconut Dog Biscuit Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the oat flour, shredded coconut, and sunflower seeds.
- Add the coconut oil and blackstrap molasses, mix well.
- Add applesauce (about 2 tablespoons) and knead until the mixture reaches dough-like consistency.
- Add a bit more applesauce, a teaspoon at a time, if the dough is too dry.
- If the dough is too wet and sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Put the dough between 2 sheets of saran wrap and roll out to about 1/4" thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Put cut-out biscuits onto the baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- Flip the biscuits over and bake for another 5 minutes, until they are dry and crunchy.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.
- Make sure that the applesauce is 100% pure and unsweetened.
- Always use "unrefined" coconut oil for cooking and supplementing. Unrefined coconut oil is made from fresh, high-quality coconuts and retains most of the nutrients found in fresh coconuts.