Green Pea Dog Biscuit Recipe
This green pea dog biscuit recipe is simple but yummy and healthy. Green peas are extremely nutritious and safe for dogs. Brown rice flour is used and the biscuit is gluten-free.
This dog biscuit recipe is high in dietary fiber, vitamin A, and trace minerals (e.g. manganese, phosphorus and calcium).
Health Benefits of Green Peas
Green peas are very nutritious. They are high in fiber, and are also rich in phytonutrients that have excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
In addition, recent research has shown that green peas are a reliable source of omega-3 fatty acids in the form of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid).
Studies have shown that green peas, due to their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, are good for the heart and can prevent the development of certain chronic disease, including cancer.
Nutritionally, green peas are a very good source of fiber, vitamins B1, B9 (folate), C, and K, as well as trace minerals such as manganese, copper, and phosphorus.
Recipe: Gluten-Free Green Pea Dog Biscuit Recipe
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup water or homemade chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add water to green peas and microwave on High for 2 minutes.
- Let cool and add coconut oil to peas.
- Add egg, flour and baking powder and stir to mix well.
- Knead until dough is formed.
- Add more water, a teaspoon at a time, if the dough is too dry.
- If the dough is too wet and sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Put the dough between 2 sheets of saran wrap and roll out to about 1/4" thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Put cut-out biscuits onto the baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds if your dog is prone to bloating or gas. Fennel seeds stimulate digestion and help relieve symptoms of bloating. They are also breath fresheners.
- Instead of using an egg, you can use chia seeds to bind the dough. Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds to 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 15 minutes, until it becomes gel-like.