Herbal Healthy Dog Biscuit Recipe
With Rosehips, Parsley, Alfalfa
This dog biscuit contains three nutrient-packed herbs, which support the immune system and are very beneficial to older dogs.
This healthy dog biscuit recipe is high in dietary fiber, iron, calcium, and potassium. It is suitable of course for all dogs, and especially for older dogs and those with skin issues as well as those with joint pain.
Health Benefits of Ingredients
- Rosehips: Rosehips are rich in vitamins A and C and good for the immune system. Vitamin A is also good for the eyes and skin. What's more, rosehips are rich in a variety of antioxidants, such as carotenoids, flavinoids, polyphenols, and more. As such, they are considered to be a good cancer preventative. These same antioxidants are also used to prevent against cardiovascular disease.
- Alfalfa: Alfalfa is highly nutritive - it contains a broad spectrum of nutrients, including high quantities of protein, fiber, trace minerals, and vitamins A, B complex, C, D, E, and K! The high chlorophyll level also makes alfalfa a powerful antioxidant and cancer preventative.
In addition, alfalfa has long been used as an herb to treat arthritis and rheumatism. It can bring long-term relief to dogs (and humans) suffering from pain caused by arthritis and other inflammatory diseases of the joints. The herb yucca has similar functions as regards pain relief; however, long-term use of yucca is not recommended because it may become irritating to the stomach and intestinal linings and may cause vomiting. On the contrary, alfalfa is safe and can be used long-term.
- Parsley: Parsley is also nutritious, containing 22% protein and impressive amounts of fiber, vitamins A, C, B1, B2 and K, not to mention trace minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. As such, it's good for dogs with anemia. Moreover, parsley is a diuretic and can help boost kidney function. And... as we all know, parsley can freshen our dog's breath.
Recipe: Herbal Healthy Dog Biscuit
- 1 1/2 cups whole flour (e.g. oat flour, brown rice flour, etc.)
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons organic flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon organic dried rosehips
- 1 teaspoon dried alfalfa
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients well.
- Add yogurt, honey, and parsley to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Knead the dough a few times into a ball.
- Put the dough between two sheets of saran wrap. Press it down a bit, and roll it out to approx. 1/4" thick.
- Cut with cookie cutters of your choice.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
- If you have an older dog, it is a good idea to get some dried herbs of alfalfa and rosehips as these are good for them! Sprinkle a teaspoon to a tablespoon (depending on your dog's size) on their food as an herbal topping. Tasty and healthy!
- Use blackstrap molasses if you don't have honey.