Homemade Liver Treats For Dogs
Making liver dog treats takes a bit of time and endurance (of the smell), but your dog will definitely go wild with joy! A variety of healthy herbs can be added to the liver treats to add more flavors and nutrients. Read on to see how...
Dogs just love liver treats - If you are in possession of any liver treats, they will notice from a mile away and dash straight to you! Therefore, liver treats are great treats for training. We are talking about high-value rewards here, folks!
However, if you decide to make cow liver treats for your dog, remember two things:
- Cow liver stinks! If possible, open the windows (and maybe doors) to let out the air in the kitchen.
- Although cow liver is nutritious (rich in vitamins A and B, iron, zinc), don't over-treat your dog with liver, even if he gives you that pathetic, can't-I-have-more look!
One ounce of liver contains 8986 international units of vitamin A (the daily minimun requirement of vitamin A for a dog is 2272 IU/lb of food consumed on a dry matter basis.) Too much intake of vitamin A can cause vitamin A toxicity. In addition, liver is rather high in fat and too much liver may cause digestive upset in some dogs.
The bottom line is, practice moderation when using liver treats for dogs!
Recipe: Simple Liver Treats For Dogs
- Cow liver, about 1 pound
- Fresh ginger root, 2 thick slices
- 1 tablespooon garlic powder
- Bring the water to a boil, add the ginger slices and the liver and return to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the liver for 10 minutes.
- Discard the ginger, drain the liver and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F (135°C), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the liver into 1-inch squares and toss with the garlic powder.
- Arrange the liver pieces in one layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Turn off the oven and let the liver cool inside the closed oven.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- The ginger slices are optional, but they can help "soften" the smell a bit.
- A variety of herbs can be added to the liver squares before baking. Please refer to this page (Recipe 2) for herb choices.