Natural Salmon Dog Treat Recipe
With Chia Seeds, Chickpea Flour and Turmeric
This natural salmon dog treat recipe is gluten-free and grain-free, rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and protein. Yummy and healthy!
This salmon dog treat is extremely easy to make - it takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 20 to 25 minutes to bake! It just proves once again that making tasty and nutritious treats for your dog is simple and doesn't take up too much of your time.
For some reason (don't know exactly what - my dog's not telling), many dogs like fishy taste and smell. If your dog is one of them, this treat will no doubt be a big hit!
Health Benefits of Ingredients
- Salmon: Salmon is, as you know, rich in anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fatty acids, which have amazing positive effects on the many parts of the body, including the brain, joints, skin, and eyes. The Omega-3 FAs also can lower risks of certain cancer (breast, colon, and prostate) in human.
As well, salmon is a great source of protein. A few recent studies have shown that the bioactive protein molecules (called bioactive peptides) in salmon protein may provide special support in various areas, including supporting and maintaining joint cartilage integrity, effective use of insulin, and the control of inflammation in the digestive tract.
In addition, salmon is rich in antioxidants such as selenium, which can prevent inflammation of the joint and certain types of cancer.
If you are concerned about the safety of feeding fish to dogs, please read this article.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is an herb that has amazing health benefits for both people and dogs. It is a powerful antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. It protects the liver, and enhances the digestive and cardiovascular systems. It also contains high amounts of vitamin A, minerals, and protein.
For dogs, especially older dogs or those with chronic diseases (e.g. arthritis, allergies, diabetes, cognitive dysfunction, heart and liver diseases), turmeric is a good herb to add to the diet. Dogs who are fighting cancer can also benefit from this herb.
- Chia Seeds: See this page for more information on this ingredient.
Recipe: Salmon Dog Treat with Chia, Chickpea Flour and Turmeric
- 1 can Alaskan sockeye or pink salmon (18 gm)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- Roll into 1" balls and put them on the baking sheet.
- Flatten balls with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the treats in until the oven cools down if you want to dry out the treats more.
(Note: the treats are not hard - they are more on the soft and chewy side.)
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.
- Use other whole flours, such as coconut flour, almond flour, oat flour, etc., if you don't have chickpea flour.
- If you don't have salmon, use canned sardines.
- You can also add other herbs to the treats, such as culinary herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc. Do check with your dog first to see if s/he approves...
- As these treats contains fish, remember to keep them in the refrigerator. They will last for one week - but most likely your dog will devour them in 2 days.