Turmeric Dog Biscuit Recipe
with Alfalfa and Applesauce
This dog biscuit recipe is extremely easy to make, yet the biscuits are yummy and healthy. It uses oat flour, coconut oil, honey, applesauce, as well as the herbs turmeric and alfalfa. Certified gluten-free oat flour can be used if you want the biscuits to be gluten-free.
Last week my soon-to-be-13 dog, Hana, pulled a muscle while playing in the snow. She was limping and looked miserable.
This is what I have been doing to make her feel better:
- Acupressure and Massage - This may just be the most effective way to get your dog feel better if she has a not-too-serious muscle pull or strain. While acupuncture is invasive and treatment requires a veterinary acupuncturist to perform, acupressure can be done rather easily if you know the acupoints. My dog immediately felt better after 2-3 sessions.
- Turmeric - Turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory effects comparable to those of cortisone. I mix powdered turmeric with coconut oil and add the herbal mixture to her food.
She is now walking without a limp and is as playful as ever.
Yesterday I celebrated her recovery by making her some simple yet healing biscuits using turmeric, coconut oil, and alfalfa (good for arthritis pain). While the biscuits were in the oven, the smell was so good that even my husband wanted to try one!
Recipe: Turmeric Dog Biscuit with Alfalfa
- 1 1/3 cups organic gluten-free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon organic dried powdered turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried alfalfa leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the oat flour, turmeric and alfalfa.
- Add the banana, coconut oil and honey, mix well.
- Add applesauce (about 1 tablespoon) and knead until the mixture reaches dough-like consistency.
- Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Put the dough between 2 sheets of saran wrap and roll out to about 1/4" thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Put cut-out biscuits onto the baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- Flip the biscuits over and bake for another 10 minutes, until they are dry and crunchy.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.
- Make sure that the applesauce is 100% pure and unsweetened.
- If you don't have applesauce, use another binder (e.g. water, chicken broth, egg).
- Always use "unrefined" coconut oil for cooking and supplementing. Unrefined coconut oil is made from fresh, high-quality coconuts and retains most of the nutrients found in fresh coconuts.